University of Gondar Civic Mid Exam
Part I. Write true if the statement is correct and false if the statement is incorrect
- For altruists, an action is right if and only if it creates happiness for other people as well as the moral agent or the doer of the action.
- Parochial political cultures are most compatible with centralized, authoritarian political structures.
- Ethical egoism is normative ethical theories which measures the rightness and wrongness of an action based on respecting moral laws.
Part II. Choose the correct answers from the given alternatives
1.Among the following, which one is not the manifestation of utilitarianism ethical theory?
- a. An action is right as it tends to promote greatest happiness
- b. An action is right if its consequences is more favorable to every one
- c. An action is right if its consequences maximizes utility of the doer
- d. An action is right if it maximize happiness for the majority
2.Suppose you are in favor of Act-utilitarianism
- a. You have tell the truth based on the situation but not always
- b. You don’t have to follow the rules in every situation
- c. You have to be situational
- d. All
- e. None
3.Which one of the following is not the reason why ethics is not a law?
- a. Ethics sometimes made explicitly in religious texts or philosophical writings
- b. Ethical standards face coercive punishments
- c. Some actions that are unethical may not be illegal
- d. Some actions that are illegal may not be unethical
4.Which of the following is true about ethics and morality?
- a. Ethics is the study of moral standards and moral judgment
- b. Morality is the more formal and systematic analysis of theories and perspectives
- c. Morality is a philosophical study of codes, behaviors and standards
- d. Ethics is the subject matter which is studied by morality
5.Among the following which one is correct about the common features of John Stuart Mill and Jeremy Bentham philosophy?
- a. They were religious ancestors of the twentieth-century secular humanists
- b. They have an pessimistic view about human nature
- c. They believed on ability to solve problems without recourse to God
- d. Both believed by Quantity over Quality
6.Which of the following is true about consequential ethics?
- a. If the end result of an action produces bad consequence, it is morally acceptable
- b. If lying, stealing and killing produce good consequence, it is morally acceptable
- c. The moral worth of an action depends on the formal rules of conduct
- d. The consequence of an action has nothing to do with the morality of an action
7.Some rules such as “don’t kill” cannot be used as an absolute guide in making decisions. Rather, our actions should be evaluated if they can bring common good at its end at a particular circumstance. This is the ides of
- a. Deontological ethics
- b. Rule Utilitarianism
- c. Act-utilitarianism
- d. Egoistic hedonism
8.Among the following one is incorrect about the goal of civic education
- a. Fostering intercultural societies
- b. Promoting parochial political culture
- c. Create awareness about the rights and responsibilities of citizens
- d. Promoting conflict resolution skills
9.Which of the following is not correct about utilitarianism?
- a. We ought to act so as to promote the greatest balance of good over evil
- b. It is teleological ethical theory that judges the rightness of an action by its results
- c. An action that maximizes pain and minimizes happiness is a good action
- d. The pleasure shall be for the greatest number of people
10.In ___ theory an action is right if the consequences of that action are favorable to all except the actor
- a. Utilitarianism
- b. Consequentialism
- c. Altruism
- d. Deontologism
- e. A&D
- f. B&C
11.___ are norms, formally approved by state, power or national or international political bodies
- a. Morality
- b. Law
- c. Ethics
- d. Values
12.How is ethical egoism differing from psychological egoism
- a. Ethical egoism is descriptive whereas psychological egoism is not descriptive
- b. Ethical egoism depends on psychological egoism, while psychological egoism does not depend on ethical egoism
- c. Ethical egoism is the same as psychological egoism
- d. Ethical egoism is a theory about how the people ought to act, while psychological egoism is a theory about how the people actually act
1 thought on “Civic Mid Exam – University of Gondar”
It is good to know the how focus part of the course to prepare for the exam.